The cohorts described here are intended to support use cases related to COVID-19. Searches are defined in terms of standard codes, but text searches and local code mapping may be necessary to retrieve the all members of the cohort.
A patient who has interacted with a health system within two years of index date and alive at the index date:
- One or more recorded encounters within two (2) years of the index date, including face-to-face (inpatient or outpatient) encounters, and telehealth encounters, AND
- No death recorded during the same period
A patient diagnosed with COVID-19:
- Any clinical diagnosis code in set Confirmed COVID-19 Infection VS OR
detectedresult from any test in set SARS Coronavirus 2 Qualitative Laboratory Test VS OR
detectedresult from any test in set SARS-Related Qualitative Laboratory Test VS
COVID-19 Positive Date
The earliest date of a COVID-19 diagnosis:
- First date of COVID-19 Positive
COVID-19 Related Hospitalization
An inpatient visit associated with COVID-19:
- COVID-19 Positive Date during hospitalization OR
- Hospitalization up to 14 days after COVID-19 Positive Date AND clinical or billing diagnosis of Respiratory Condition VS associated with the hospitalization
Administration of BCG vaccine into intravesical space:
- Medication administration code in BCG Vaccine Products for Intravesical Use VS AND
- Procedure code in Intravesical Administration of BCG Procedure VS
- Procedure code in Intravesical Administration of Therapeutic Agent Procedure VS AND
- Procedure itemUsed in BCG Vaccine Products for Intravesical Use VS
Inpatient Convalescent Serum of COVID-19 Use
Use of convalescent serum of COVID-19 (CS) during the course of hospitalization. Includes any dose or duration of CS, any level of disease severity while on CS, and patients on other medications.
- Medication administration code in Convalescent Serum Products VS during COVID-19 Related Hospitalization
Patient who dies during hospitalization:
- Discharge disposition like
expiredOR date of death during hospitalization
Inpatient HCQ Use
Use of hydroxychloroquine during a hospitalization related to COVID-19. Includes any dose, form, duration of HCQ, any level of disease severity while on HCQ, and patients on other medications.
Inpatient Remdesivir Use
Use of Remdesivir during a hospitalization related to COVID-19. Includes any dose, form, duration of Remdesivir, any level of disease severity while on Remdesivir, and patients on other medications.
Invasive Mechanical Ventilation
Any intubation procedure or mechanical ventilation-associated procedure, excluding supplemental oxygen (high or low flow), CPAP, and BiPAP, ECMO.
- Procedure code in Invasive Mechanical Ventilation VS OR
- Evidence of mechanical ventilation in other intensive care unit (ICU) documentation (e.g. ventilator mode change in ICU flowsheet)
Prior HCQ Use
Use of hydroxychloroquine prior to hospital admission related to COVID-19:
- Medication code from Hydroxychloroquine VS on the admission medication list or outpatient medication list associated with COVID-19 Related Hospitalization
Patient exhibiting signs and symptoms of respiratory distress (could be noted in admitting diagnosis code or encounter chief complaint):
- Condition code in Respiratory Condition VS value set.